CI Sports Awards shortlist announced
The shortlist for this year’s Betway Channel Islands Sports Awards has been announced.
Phone lines open at 6pm this evening, and you have around three weeks to vote for your favourite Sports Personality of the Year candidate.
Contenders for the top 2018 award are:
- Guernsey bowler, Lucy Beere, who won her first senior world championship last year.
- Jersey netballer, Serena Guthrie, who won a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in 2018 and is the current captain of the England team.
- Jersey rugby player, Michael Le Bourgeois, who moved from Jersey Reds to become captain of the Bedford Blues, before signing to Premiership side Wasps.
- Guernsey bowler, Alison Merrien, who claimed her third WIBC Women’s Singles Championship title in 2018.
- Guernsey boxer, Bradley Watson, who claimed the vacant English super-flyweight title against the previously undefeated Loua Nassa.
You can vote by calling 0845 60655 followed by the number of your favourite:
Lucy Beere – 01
Serena Guthrie – 02
Michael Le Bourgeois – 03
Alison Merrien – 04
Bradley Watson – 05
Each telephone number can call a maximum of 20 times.
Lines will close at 10pm on 31st January, during the live broadcast of the awards.
Those nominated for the Blue Islands Team of the Year include Alderney FC, Calligo Tigers Swimming, Guernsey Raiders and Guernsey Athletics Women’s Road Race Team.
Sam Culverwell, Isaac Dodds, Grace Greenwood and Will Masterman have been shortlisted for the PraxisIFM Rising Star Award for 2018.
Meanwhile, Amy Critchlow, who coaches young triathletes, and rugby coach, Jordan Reynolds, are shortlisted from Guernsey for the Source Recruitment Coach of the Year Award, with football coach Josh Concanen nominated from Alderney, and swimming coach Nathan Jegou and Ben Silva, who is coach to the Victoria College Prep also making the list in Jersey.
The Michael Lucas Sporting Hero Award and the Judges’ Award for Achievement will also be presented on the night.
The awards ceremony will be held at the RJA & HS Showground in Jersey.