Island Games: Day One Update
8th July 2019
It was a perfect start to day 1 of the Natwest International Island Games for Team Guernsey as they recorded their best opening day for years with 5 Gold, 4 Silver and 2 Bronze to end day 1 at the top of the Medal Table.
Megan Chapple took Silver in the Ladies triathlon event and then it was confirmed that the Women had won Gold in the Team event, with the Men taking a Team Silver for the third consecutive Games.
- Becky Margetts & Nikki Trebert added more medals to their Island Games tally as they took Gold in the 25m Sport Pistol Team event and a Silver in the 25m Standard Pistol Team event, whilst James Straughan and Andy Torode won Gold in the Service Pistol B Team event and Bronze in the Police Pistol 1 Team event.
- Sam Culverwell took a sensational Gold medal in the mens Town Criterium. There was a Team Silver for the Men and a Team Bronze for the Ladies Town Criterium in Cycling.
- In other results, Guernsey men and women both lost their opening Basketball games. The ladies went down 55-33 to the Isle of Man whilst the men were beaten 71-63 by Saaremaa.
- Alderney lost both their opening games of the Table Tennis team event 7-0 against Greenland and the Faroe Isles but it was better news for Guernsey who won both their games 7-0 against Menorca and Isle of Man.
- Guernsey’s men made the Quarter Final of the Team Tennis event after beating Ynys Mon 2-1, but went out to Bermuda 3-0. The Ladies beat Aland 3-0 in the Quarter Finals before losing to Gibraltar in the Semi-Finals 3-0.
- Lucas Rive just missed out on a medal in the High Jump as he placed 4th. In the Womens Long Jump, Abi Galpin was 8th, Sofia Mella 15th and Alderney’s Charmaine Johnson finished 19th.
- Vicky Mann and Jasmine Norman are through to the semi finals of the Womens 100m. Lucas Rive and Joe Chadwick made the semi finals of the 200m, and Indi Gallagher the semi finals of the 400m. There were mixed fortunes in the 800m Heats as Alex Rowe qualified, but Joseph Yeoman just missed out.
- In the 10,000 metres, Luke Williams placed 6th with James Priest 9th.
- Guernsey Badminton started the Team event strongly with 5-0 wins against Bermuda and Aland and a 4-1 win over Menorca. They will face the Faroes in the Semi Finals.
- Guernsey played its first ever Beach Volleyball game as they went down 2-0 against Gotland.