Island Games Update: Day Two
9th July 2019
Another clutch of medals on the second day of competition but only two Golds meant that Guernsey dropped to 2nd in the Medals Table.
- It was a 1-2 for Guernsey as Sarah Mercier won Gold in the 10,000m and Jenny James took Silver.
- The only other Gold of Monday went to Nikki Trebert as she won the 25m Sport Pistol event.
- Sam Wallbridge ran a superb race, just 18 months after a terrible injury ruled him out of the Commonwealth Games, to take Silver in the 400m Hurdles. Peter Curtis won the Bronze in the same event.
- Joe Chadwick won Silver in the 200m and there was a Bronze for Ed Mason in the 3000m Steeplechase.
- There were 5 Silver medals in the Swimming Pool. Orla Rabey in the 100m Butterfly, Charlie-Joe Hallett in the 100m Breaststroke, Tom Hollingsworth in the 50m Backstroke and for the Ladies 4 x 50m Freestyle and Mens 4 x 50m Medley Relay Teams.
- On the Shooting Range, a Silver for Guernsey in the Automatic Ball Trap Team Open, with a Bronze for James Straughan & Andy Torode in the Revolve 48 Shot Max 6 Barrell event, whilst Torode took an individual Bronze in the Spervice Pistol B Open.
- There was also a Bronze for Lewis Bourgaize in the 73kg category of Judo (yet to be officially confirmed by the IG website!), and the Womens Tennis Team won Bronze in the Team event.
- Guernsey also won a Team Silver in Badminton as they lost to Greenland in the final.
- Despite issues with the Island Games website, Guernsey men beat the Faroes in Basketball.
- Guernsey lost to Aland and Saaremaa in the Beach Volleyball.
- Clem Thompson leads after 4 events in the Laser Radial Rig event, and Andrew Bridgman leads in the Laser Standard Rig.
- Guernsey will face Jersey in the Gold Medal match of the Table Tennis Team Event on Wednesday. Alderney finished 13th.
- The Tennis Singles events began, with wins for Pieter Robinson, Chris Freeman and Jo Dyer.