Children are among the fatalities in a mass shooting at a child's birthday party in California.
Police said four people had died and 10 were wounded in the incident in Stockton, about 60 miles east of San Francisco.
Officers were called on Saturday to a banquet hall just before 6pm local time (2am UK time) and district attorney Ron Freitas said children were among the dead.
He said the attacker was still at large.
"We can confirm at this time that approximately 14 individuals were struck by gunfire, and four victims have been confirmed deceased," San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office said on X.
The post said early indications suggest it could be a "targeted incident" but that information remains limited.
Police have so far not disclosed the attacker's identity and the motive is unclear.
Stockton's vice mayor Jason Lee confirmed on Facebook that the shooting on Lucile Avenue happened at a child's birthday party.
Mayor Christina Fugazzi said that "families should be together instead of at the hospital, standing next to their loved one, praying that they survive".
California governor Gavin Newsom's office added that he had been briefed on the "horrific shooting".
(c) Sky News 2025: Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

More than 600 dead in Indonesia and Thailand after floods and landslides - and Sri Lanka reporting more than 200 deaths from cyclone
Questions over evidence used by UK police to ban Maccabi Tel Aviv fans from Aston Villa match
Cheating in lightning chess - how unproven allegations ended in tragedy
Death toll rises to 146 in Hong Kong apartment complex fire as more bodies found in burned buildings