The planned introduction of PCR tests for people travelling into the Bailiwick from the UK, due to come into force on Thursday, have been put on hold.
The Civil Contingencies Authority said last week that it would be looking at the best way to provide greater levels of protection to our small communities over the weekend.
It says further work is needed and, as a consequence, the planned change to require fully vaccinated travellers to have a pre-travel test won't go ahead this week.
"The Civil Contingencies Authority met this morning (26 July) to consider the feedback and concerns expressed by the community to the changes announced on Friday, review the current and changing circumstances – including prevalence rates in neighbouring jurisdictions, and examine other potential mitigation options.
The CCA says further options have been developed over the weekend which it wishes to consider carefully and in full that may assist residents returning to the Bailiwick."
Many listeners commented on Island FM's Facebook page as they were concerned about getting stuck in the UK if they test positive, which is causing some to become anxious.
The CCA says this equally applies to visitors to the Bailiwick who will also have to stay here if they test positive whilst in the islands. It strongly recommends anyone who is not ordinarily resident in the Bailiwick to take a pre-travel test to protect them and their families from the costs and difficulties they will experience if they subsequently test positive after arriving here.
In addition, this will afford additional protection to those who travel with them on the same flight or ferry, and to others within the Bailiwick.
The CCA will meet again tomorrow (27 July) to make a final decision but wanted to inform the community and travellers as soon as possible.
Deputy Peter Ferbrache, Chairman of the Civil Contingencies Authority, said:
"We said over the weekend that we were listening to the feedback from our community, with many legitimate concerns raised about pre-travel testing particularly by local residents due to travel back to the island from the UK. We have listened but we have also examined the latest available information, and as we all know the position continually changes with this virus and we need to be likewise adaptable, and as such the CCA took the decision this morning that the planned changes for this Thursday will not come into effect.
"We wanted to make sure the community and visitors were made aware of this decision as soon as possible. The CCA will meet again tomorrow to further consider other potential mitigation factors before making a final decision. I recognise this may cause a short period of uncertainty for some but as ever we make decisions with the best interests of the whole community at heart and will change our position when we feel it is the right thing to do."