On Air Now James Bentley 6:00am - 10:00am
Now Playing Ariana Grande Yes, And?

US Jet Leaves Without Sub Search Kit

A US military plane that was in Jersey on Thursday (22 June) to collect equipment for the search for the Titan sub left without the kit after problems loading it.

The C17 Globemaster had been in the island for around 12 hours  - having landed shortly after 5am on Thursday.

It has come to Jersey to pick up an remote operated vehicle (ROV) owned by deep sea specialists Magellan.

However, it departed the island just before 5pm without the equipment because a 'glitch' delayed the loading and the crew were beyond their flying hours.

 Photo by Magellan

Around that same time, the US Coast Guard announced that a debris field has been discovered within the area being searched for the missing submersible in the North Atlantic ocean.

They later said they believed it had suffered a 'catastrophic implosion', and operators OceanGate said they believed the five people onboard has been lost.

"We now believe that our CEO Stockton Rush, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding, and Paul-Henri Nargeolet, have sadly been lost.

"These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world's oceans.

"Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time. We grieve the loss of life and joy they brought to everyone they knew."

Magellan's ROV was used last year to create a digital scan of the Titanic wreck site which lies 3,800m below surface level.

The Guernsey-registered company said it had offered its expertise immediately after news of the sub losing contact with its operators, but the mobilisation of its equipment was reportedly held up by permissions.

A second US military aircraft arrived at Jersey Airport shortly before 8pm and departed later that night.

 

Footage by Graeme Delanoe

In a statement issued at midday on Friday (23 June), Magellan said it has been stood down:

"Magellan are deeply saddened by the news confirmed by the Unified Command yesterday. We extend our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of those who have been affected by this tragedy.

Given this new information, and at the instruction of United Command the mobilization of Magellan specialist support is no longer required.

Magellan continues to thank Unified Command, USAF, USCG and UK RAF for their ongoing involvement to mobilise our equipment teams to St John, Newfoundland.

Magellan would also like to acknowledge and thank the States of Jersey and States of Guernsey, along with Ports of Jersey and Channel Seaways for their round the clock support and help to make the military airlift possible.

Our thoughts are with all those who have been affected by this tragedy."

More from Jersey News

Island FM VIP

Get more with the Island FM VIP!

Download Our App

Never miss a moment from Island FM

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play
  • Just ask Amazon Alexa