Alderney's latest tourist attraction opens

A World War Two hospital bunker, hidden for years, attracts the crowds.

The newly-refurbished bunker off the Longis Road drew the crowds on Saturday (6 July).

The president of the States of Alderney, William Tate, cut a ceremonial bandage to declare the facility open to islanders and tourists.

The bunker was built by the Germans in 1943 using slave and forced labourers. It sits off the Longis Road, near the site of one of the labour camps, Lager Borkum.

It is a large facility, capable of housing some 30 casualties, with separate facilities for doctors and medical orderlies. The treatment room has been 'dressed' to show what an operation may have looked like.

In reality, the bunker was probably used very little, but it was close to wartime action in August 1944 when a heavy British battleship fired 70 shells at a gun battery called Blucher, located near the bunker.

A display will open in a separate room to commemorate the 80th anniversary of this on 12 August 2024.

The hospital bunker was cleared out and renovated by volunteers, under the direction of Alderney historian Colin Partridge.

It is among several WW2 attractions opened recently, including the Odeon fire control tower.

More from Guernsey News

Just Played Songs

Weather Forecast

  • Fri

    20°C

  • Sat

    19°C

  • Sun

    17°C

  • Mon

    18°C

  • Tue

    18°C

Island FM VIP

Get more with the Island FM VIP!

93.7-104.7 FM & DAB+
islandfm.com
Island FM app
'Alexa, play Island FM'